The Richest People on The Planet
Forbes’ annual rich list is out, and Microsoft founder Bill Gates is still the richest people on the planet. Worth $79.2 billion, Gates kept his spot at the top of the 2015 Forbes Billionaires List. The title of the richest person on the planet is held by Bill Gates for 16 of the past 21 years. His fortune grew $3.2 billion since last year to $79.2 billion, despite a gift of $1.5 billion in Microsoft shares to The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in November 2014.
While the richest stayed the richest, the 1,822 other billionaires on Forbes‘ list contained new 290 newcomers, whom 25% of the world’s billionaires are from China, which produced a world-leading 71 newcomers. The United States came in second, with 57, followed by India, with 28, and Germany, with 23.
Mark Zuckerburg, the social media magnate and founder of Facebook, was placed at number 16 with $33.4 billion. Self-made billionaires made up the largest number of people on the list with 1,191 positions (over 65%) while just 230 (under 13%) have wealth through inheritance. The number of billionaires who inherited a portion but are still working to increase their fortunes is 405.
Here is Forbes 2015 ranking of richest people in the planet :
- Bill Gates $79.2bn (Microsoft)
- Carlos Slim Helu $77.1bn (Phones and construction in Mexico)
- Warren Buffett $72.7bn (Global investor)
- Amancio Ortega $64.5bn (Zara and other fashion chains)
- Larry Ellison $54.3bn (Oracle data storage technology)
- Charles Koch $42.9bn (Industrialist)
- David Koch $42.9bn (Industrialist)
- Christy Walton $41.7bn (Walmart retail giant)
- Jim Walton $40.6bn (Walmart retail giant)
- Liliane Bettencourt $40.1bn (L’Oreal cosmetics firm)